- 1 packet active-dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, divided
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup warm milk
- ½ to 1 tsp vegetable oil for oiling bowl
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 3 small plastic baby figurines (optional)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablet NESTLÉ® ABUELITA™ chocolate drink mix, grated (or ⅔ cup NESTLÉ® ABUELITA™ Granulated Chocolate Drink Mix)
Directions For Dough
- Combine yeast and water in a small bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes until yeast turns foamy.
- Place 2 cups flour on a working surface. Make a well in the middle of flour and add sugar, butter, 2 eggs, vanilla extract and salt. Mix by hand, adding remaining flour ½ cup at a time until a smooth and sticky dough is formed. Slowly add yeast mixture and milk, 1 tbsp at a time to dough. Knead for 5 to 7 minutes or until dough is completely smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and transfer (crease side down) to a large oiled bowl. Brush a small amount of oil with hands over surface of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area for 2 hours or until dough doubles in size. Meanwhile, prepare chocolate paste.
Directions For Chocolate Paste
- Beat butter with a hand mixer until smooth. Add flour and NESTLÉ® ABUELITA™ chocolate. Continue beating until completely mixed and a paste is formed. Divide chocolate paste into thirds.
- Deflate dough by pressing with fingers. Divide dough in half.
- Incorporate 2/3 chocolate paste in one half of the dough. Knead until dough changes color.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll tbsp dough in between palms of hand or on a surface making a 6 ½ to 7-inch-long strip. Repeat with chocolate dough. Twist both dough strips together and pinch ends together to form a circle or knot. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used, arranging the dough circles/knots in a larger circle. Dough twists make approximately 15-16 circles/knots.
- Wrap plastic baby figurines in the middle of a rolled out strip of dough. Make sure it is completely covered by dough. (Optional)
- Cover dough knots with plastic wrap and place in a warm area to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Shape the remaining 1/3 chocolate paste into 3-inch strips between the palms of your hands. Arrange them around the formed circle, over the dough knots. Arrange maraschino cherries around circle in centers of knots.
- Beat remaining egg. Brush circle with beaten egg, avoiding chocolate paste.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
Tip: you can also make the dough using a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment.